Monday, March 20, 2006

Achilles update

4 weeks have come and gone... I had my cast removed this morning, and met with the orthopedic surgeon. He was pleased and said it looks like everything is healing very nicely. He actually said something more like: "Rats - another person who healed on their own". Pretty nice guy - very personable. My calf/ankle don't look too bad. It wasn't gross or stinky when the cast was removed. I guess its a good thing this happened now and not in the middle of summer where it would get all sweaty.

I am now in an "AirCast" (attached is a pic - note: not my legs.:-) ) 3 weeks in this before seeing the Doctor again. I should be able to walk in this contraption, and only need to wear it for walking. I am trying to put some weight on it, but it feels pretty weird. I feel pins and needles in my heel (I guess from not using it in a while), and I can feel some tenderness in my achilles. I guess it will take some time to get used to walking again.

I can start to do a few little exercises, but won't start physio until after seeing him again in 3 weeks. He doesn't want me to overdo it. He says he rarely ever sees a true "partial" rupture; usually it goes completely. I guess that is good, and it should heal back to how it was before. Although I may go into retirement from soccer for good... We'll see. It was good exercise.

No comments: